Sunday, November 12, 2023

IKFK switch using matrices

After all these years, more than 4 years. I've had rough time, but I'm back. Since I started using matrices for all my rigs, I came across the idea of using matrices for switching IK to FK. I've seen other methods to achieve this approach, but require new nodes like pickMatrix or blendMatrix which can be useful, but for this time I'm going to simplify the connections making it simpler.

To blend them I'll use blendColors and pairBlend nodes, to avoid the unitConversion from degrees. Here is the connections in the node editor.

From my point of view is a simple setup. Require 10 nodes to achieve it. It has some rules to follow but still very simple.

Rules:

  • BK chain is the Blend Kinematics chain
  • The dag node "L_Forearm_FK_CN" is child of  "L_Upperarm_FK_CN", same in the IK chain
  • The dag node "L_Forearm_BK_NULL" is child of  "L_Upperarm_BK_NULL"
  • The FK and IK chains don't need to have the same rotation order
  • The BK chain needs to be in xyz

The connections of  the first node of the chain is slightly different, in the "localSpace_MultMatrix" it will go just the first chain and in the node "worldSpace_MultMatrix" in the index [1] it won't need any connection. Just as simple as that. I hope you find it useful.

IKFK switch using matrices from Steffano Richi on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment